Sunday, November 24, 2019

BALLAD OF A DRUNKEN MAN - by Mark Wakeham






BALLAD OF A DRUNKEN MAN

by  Mark Wakeham




Come now, stand here by the bar,
And I'll gladly fill your jar,
While I tell you, stranger, of my life of woe.
It's a love affair, my tale,
It's a love affair with ale,
A love affair that began so long ago.


Girls? I'll always make the time,
( Look much better after wine,
That information's just between me and you! )
Though I've never been to bed
With some wizened old piss head,
But, by Christ, I've woken up to one or two!


It's the Demon drink, my son,
Drink your last pint and have done
With the Devil's Brew, it knacker's up your life!
I'd a family once, myself,
Now I'm on the Whiskey shelf,
Drowning in a bottle full of guilt and strife.


Vodka, son? A Scotch or Rum?
Ahh now, soon my time will come,
When my Landlord in the sky I'll try to find.
Let me buy you all a drink,
There's no time to sit and think
Of the wasted lives I've broke and left behind.


Until then it's bottom's up,
And to your good health I'll sup,
Stranger? You're no stranger. You're a friend of mine.
You're my best friend, come to think,
Here, you bugger, have a drink!
Be it spirit, be it beer or be it wine.


And tomorrow she will dawn,
And I'll stretch and then I'll yawn,
And the loneliness will set in once again.
And I'll make my way to bar,
Meet a stranger, "There you are,
Have a drink on me, now tell me, what's your name?"


He'll resist at first, of course,
Then I'll turn to verbal force,
And I'll stop him, so he's trapped and cannot go.
"Come now, stand here by the bar,
And I'll gladly fill your jar,
While I tell you, stranger, of my life of woe."












No comments:

Post a Comment