Saturday, September 26, 2020

CUPID'S WARNING - by Hannah Flagg Gould

 





CUPID'S  WARNING

by Hannah Flagg Gould




    "TAKE heed! take heed!
    They will go with speed;
    For I've just new-strung my bow!
    My quiver is full; and if oft I pull,
    Some arrow may hit, you know,
    You know, you know,
    Some arrow may hit, you know."


    "Oh! pull away,"
    Did the maiden say,
    "For who is the coward to mind
    A shaft that's flung by a boy so young,
    When both of his eyes are blind,
    Are blind, are blind,
    When both of his eyes are blind?


    His bow he drew;
    And the shafts they flew,
    Till the maiden was heard to cry,
    "Oh! take the dart from my aching heart,
    Dear Cupid, or else I die!
    I die, I die,
    Dear Cupid, or else I die!"


    He said, and smiled,
    "I am but a child,
    And should have no skill to find,
    E'en with both my eyes, where the dart now lies;
    Then you know, fair maid, I'm blind,
    I'm blind, I'm blind,
    You know fair maid, I'm blind!"






No comments:

Post a Comment